Friday, August 2, 2013

Easier Than I Thought

So I am slowly ridding our diets of processed foods, it is tougher than I thought it would be but I am giving it my best shot. I have heard of people making their own home made sausage and I thought no way am I even going to attempt that, it cheaper to buy my sausage. Ok so I get intimidated easily with the prospect of making stuff from scratch. Although, once I make it the first time I am usually good to go and will make it from scratch again and again. I was in the grocery store grabbing a pack of chicken and I saw they had two packs of ground pork marked down it was 1.74 per pack, which I might add is less than a pound of sausage and these packs were just over a pound. I showed them to hubby and he agreed since they were that cheap we could try our hand a making sausage. So in the buggy they went.

Last night I dug a pack out added a teaspoon of sage, a teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic, browned it and then made gravy. Hubby never eats more than two biscuits but last night he had three and I make BIG biscuits.

The homemade sausage got the thumbs up from hubby so now I guess I need to purchase a meat grinder. I will stock up on pork loins when they are on sale and grind a few up and make sausage.

YES! One more processed food item out of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment