Friday, October 11, 2013

Causing Ripples and Growing Deep

Wow have I even been a slacker when it comes to blogging. Actually I have been up to my eyeballs in alligators and have had the time to think much less post. But today I wanted to share with you something that has been heavy on my heart.


Last night was our monthly WMU...oh yeah I forgot to mention that I have stepped completely out of my comfort zone and started a WMU at my church. For you non-Baptist WMU stands for Women's Missionary Union. And yes for you Baptist it was a Baptist church without a WMU - I know WOW...LOL ok now own with my regularly scheduled post...
 
Last night was our monthly WMU meeting and I think I may have overwhelmed them a little as I laid out plans for the next 18 months but that is ok they will soon realize that I dream big. Hey if you can’t dream big what can you do? LOL I was mean too, I even gave them homework. Ok put down the rotten tomatoes it wasn’t that bad of assignment. I just asked them to look around the next time they were in the grocery store and plan meals using only boxed and canned items. We need to organize and restock our food pantry but I want us to focus on giving items that will make complete meals instead of just random cans of food.

I also challenged them to move out of their backyards and into the community. I firmly believe that our churches maybe facing one of the toughest mission fields in our lifetimes…our own communities. As I ponder what the government shut down means I realize that our churches are going to have to be prepared to step up and get our hands dirty. I am afraid we will not be able to get away with just writing checks and passing the work along to someone else. Oh, the checks will still be needed but we are going to have to put some feet to our faith. If the shut down continues, will government assistance programs still be available? The answer to that is most likely not. This means we as the body of Christ are going to have to do some major Helping Hands ministry.

Last night at our WMU meeting, I used the example of a stone being tossed into the water and causing ripples as it dropped to the bottom of the pond. I told them I was tossing each one of them in to the proverbial Pampa pond. We were going to cause ripples to go wide but we were also going to have to go deep…deep in the word. We were going to have to hide God’s word in our hearts and grow deep in our faith to be able to survive the storms on the horizon.

So to each of you I say cause ripples and grow deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment