Friday, April 12, 2013

Regaining Control -- Yeah Right in my Dreams - LOL



Wow was I ever ready to see the month of March go. Ok I will admit it there for a while I was living for midnight on April 6. March was a depressing month; both my husband and I lost brothers during the month. The first of the month my brother-in-law passed away unexpectedly and at the end of the month my brother lost his battle with cancer. During that time we were nose deep in wedding plans for our oldest son. They had planned on getting married March 2014 but her mother decided she was moving at the end of April and our daughter-in-law couldn’t afford to live on her own so they moved the wedding up April 6 of this year. It was amazing in three weeks’ time a beautiful wedding was pulled together. They were blessed though, everything fell into place and it was all done on a shoe string budget of less than $1,000. They were given a lot from friends and family, their engagement pictures and wedding pictures were done by Momma’s Photography (LOL – they turned out pretty good if I do say so myself) and their cake and punch were done in Momma’s Bakery (if I see red velvet cake and chocolate dipped strawberries before Christmas it will be too soon.)
All in all they had a beautiful wedding. I had to laugh at her she said this was the way to do a wedding; there was no time to get stressed over the little stuff.

With everything that went on I fell back on some old faithful recipes and my menu went out the window. I haven't even had time to prepare a menu for April so again it will be old faithful recipes. Whatever is on sale is what we will have for dinner. Just like last night we had Sweet and Sour Pork Chops. I found butterfly pork chops on sale buy one get one free. There were two to a pack so I had enough for both hubby and me and son and daughter-in-law. Sorry no picture the guys sucked them down before I could get the camera out.  But the recipe is simple.
4 pork chops
1 can of sliced pineapple (I had bought fresh pineapple so I used it.)
1 slice bell pepper
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
¼ cup cider vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
¼ cup soy sauce (I didn’t have soy sauce so I used teriyaki sauce)
Layer pork chops, sliced pepper and pineapple in pan. Mix all other ingredients pour over pork chops, peppers and pineapple. Bring to boil reduce and simmer until chops are tender. Serve over rice with steamed broccoli.

This is a wonderful crockpot recipe and most times I cook it in the crockpot I just got thrown out of routine yesterday and forgot to put in the crock pot until it was too late so I cooked it on the stove top. I have also cooked this in the oven in a baking bag at 350 for about 35-40 minutes.

This month like last month I will be doing a lot of one pan wonders or grilling. I found a wonderful website called Chickens in the Road and she has a bunch of homemade hamburger helper recipes and I have been using them. http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/

However, I am going to regain control of the house and my life this month, I think…maybe if only in my dreams LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment