Friday, June 21, 2013

Standing in the Gap


To say the Lord has been dealing with my husband and I is rather an understatement. He is calling us in to a ministry I am not sure I am ready for…I know I know…if God calls, He will equip. Let me rephrase that - I am not ready for the drama that is sure to develop when this ministry is established. I have been seeking guidance through His word and these past few weeks I have been reading Ezekiel. A friend posted one of TD Jakes sermons on her face book yesterday and it went right along with my reading; I was in chapter 22 of Ezekiel. I had been bemoaning this call to the Lord and pointing out to him all that could and would probably happen and how feelings would probably be hurt. When I saw the video of TD Jakes it hit home.

God not so gently pointed out that He wants me to stand in the gap. STAND for my family, STAND for my church, STAND for my community, STAND for my government but most of all STAND for His people. Not only am I getting reminded though my daily bible reading, and friends posting on facebook but our pastor has preaching a series this month on “Manning Up” (he said “ladies you need to “woman up” – you would just have to meet Bro. Paul to understand.) But Bro. Paul is all about Manning Up standing in the gap…so you see I am getting it from all sides here.

This morning while in the shower, I was still bemoaning this call and God again reminded me of those that had come before me and stood in the gap and lived to tell about it. First, He started with Abigail when she stood in the gap for her husband. In 1 Samuel chapter 25, we find where Abigail stood in the gap for Nabal even though he didn’t deserve it. She gathered food and went to meet David and basically begged for Nabal’s life. The more I think about it I wonder if she was standing in the gap for Nabal or David? She basically told David that Nabal wasn’t worth killing and he didn’t need Nabal’s blood on his hands. Either way Abigail stood in the gap.

Next God reminded me about Esther. Esther put her life on the line when she went to the king without first being invited. She stood in the gap for her people.

Next was Rahab. How many remember Rahab? She helped the spies that Joshua sent into Jericho. In Joshua chapter 2 we see where Rahab hid the spies that Joshua sent in and they made a promise to her that when the city fell she would be spared. In Joshua chapter 5 Joshua brought out Rahab, her family and all her belongs but the rest of the city was destroyed. Rahab stood in the gap for the spies and her family.

Then He brought to mind Ruth. How she stood in the gap for her mother-in-law Namoi. Ruth took a chance when she slept at Boaz’s feet. But she stood.

I don’t take long showers so God was really on a roll this morning. He reminded of Tabitha (some may know her as Dorcas since Tabitha translated in to Greek is Dorcas.) In Acts chapter 9 verses 36-43 we see the community standing in the gap for Tabitha. She had stood in the gap for others then she had fallen ill and was dying (some believe she had already died) the community felt a great loss. Paul stood in the gap for her.

Last one was the Proverbs 31 woman. She stood in the gap for her family, for her household. She was a woman after God’s own heart. She stood in the gap for all those she loved.

All these women STOOD in the GAP for someone.

Ezekiel 22: 23-31 “And the word of Jehovah came unto me, saying, Son of man, say unto her, Thou art a land that is not cleansed, nor rained upon in the day of indignation. There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey: they have devoured souls; they take treasure and precious things; they have made her widows many in the midst thereof. Her priests have done violence to my law, and have profaned my holy things: they have made no distinction between the holy and the common, neither have they caused men to discern between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them. Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, that they may get dishonest gain. And her prophets have daubed for them with untempered mortar , seeing false visions, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord Jehovah, when Jehovah hath not spoken. The people of the land have used oppression, and exercised robbery; yea, they have vexed the poor and needy, and have oppressed the sojourner wrongfully. And I sought for a man among them, that should build up the wall, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found none. Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I brought upon their heads, saith the Lord Jehovah.”

I don’t want to be the reason that God pours out his fiery wrath. I guess I am scared of falling. I just have to remember that God will be there to pick me up and carry if I do stumble and I do fall. But most of I have to remember the only way to stand in the gap is to on my knees.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment