Tuesday, August 27, 2013

New Spin on Beef Stew

Ok I will admit it...I LOVE BEEF STEW. I probably could eat it every day of the week, but the stew meat has to be tender.

I ran across another recipe for beef stew and thought what the heck I will get it a try. It is call Beer and Beef Stew, I am sorry I can't remember where I got the recipe either. I wrote it down instead of printing it off since my printer was out of ink at the time and I failed to write the website down. I also tweaked the recipe a little so it is not really the same recipe so here is my Beef and Beer Stew recipe...

1 pound diced chuck roast
1 stalk celery cut in to chunks.
2 large carrots peeled and cut in to good size chunks.
2 medium potatoes washed, scrubbed and cut in to chunks.
2 garlic cloves minced.
1 small onion quartered.
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup stock - vegetable, chicken or beef - I used half veggie and half chicken.
1/2 can of tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup of beer

Season beef with salt and pepper put in crock pot add veggies and canned tomatoes then pour beer and stock and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Mine cooked more like 10 hours because I was late getting home from work. That is one reason I cut my veggies in large chunks so that they would not be mush by the time we got to eat.

Hubby liked it. The tomatoes gave it a bit of bite since I used medium spicey tomatoes and green chiles.

This was enough for two people and it all fit in a 2 qt crock pot with no problem. I think next time I will use red potatoes and just cut them in half and leave the celery out. Neither of us are big celery fans. 

This can also be made ahead of time and froze just don't add the beer, stock and tomatoes until it is time to put it in the crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment