Monday, August 12, 2013

Turning Him into an Junkie

Yes you read that correctly. By accident I am turning my hubby into an Junkie. I am sure many of you have seen the recipe for the chicken roll ups floating around facebook and pinterest...the one with cream cheese and jalapeno pepper filling and wrapped in bacon. Well my husband loves those. I mean he really LOVES those and wants them at least once a week.

I made them for him Saturday and had extra cream cheese/pepper spread left over. I stuck it in the refrigerator to have for this week when I made the chicken. However, last night after church he wanted something to snack on and nothing I suggested seemed to appeal to his taste buds. So I pulled out my wanton wrappers and the cream cheese mixture and made him some poppers.

One package is 48 wantons, I only used half. He ate a dozen. He would have eaten more but I took some over to a friends house when we went to visit so there was none left. I am slowly ridding our diets of processed foods. For the past couple of weeks just about everything he has eaten has been from scratch. Still haven't found a replacement for his Little Debbie's Nutty Bars but I am working on it.

Hopefully before long I will have revamped my pantry so that there is no processed food in it what so ever. But it is a work in progress. But every little bit helps. And I am noticing changes in our aches and pains too.

The recipe for the cream cheese/jalapeno popppers

1 package of cream cheese soften to room temperature
4 jalapeno peppers cleaned, seeded and deveined.(don't forget to wear gloves)

I run my peppers through the food processor and work in the cream cheese.

1 package of wanton wrappers
and enough oil for frying.

place a about 1/2 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture in the center of the wrapper dampen edges with water (when working with wantons or egg roll wrappers I have a bowl of water on the table, wet my pinkie finger and dampen the edges so that the wrapper will seal) and fold into a triangle pressing cream cheese gently to fill the wanton. (You have to be quick when working with wrappers they dry out easily. Cover you wrappers with a damp cloth to keep them from drying out.)

I flash fried these- I think it was something like 30 seconds per side. Just long enough for them to brown. (let me say if you are like me and don't fry stuff this doesn't take much oil. I wasn't sure I was going to have enough oil to fry them but I put just enough oil in the pan so that they would float.  I didn't use 2 cups. Next time I will bake them.

No comments:

Post a Comment