Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Zesty Black Bean and Corn Salad


As you know I have been on the hunt for easy dishes now that I have gone back to work. With it being hot I don't want to use the oven so recipes have to be either grilled outside on the grill or on George Foreman grill or cooked on the stove top. Better yet no cooking at all - YAY! Ok so I have to cook some things but the least the better. I finally found a way to feed my husband black beans, oh I would put them in chili and he would eat them but just to serve them as a side forget until this recipe. All I can say is SCORE!!! And it is easy on the budget too.

Last night’s dinner was simple. It was 104 here yesterday and I am not adjusting to this dry heat (yes there is a difference – another post another day) and it is kicking my backside. I had been on the hunt for pasta recipes and a friend told me about a black bean salad that she had pinned on Pinterest so I went looking for it. I have found several variations so I made up my own last night.

1 ~ 26.5oz can of black beans rinsed and drained.

3 ~ ears of corn –cut off the cob

3 ~ Roma tomatoes seeded and diced

2 ~ Bell peppers seeded and diced

1 ~ small red onion diced

3 ~ cloves of garlic minced

2 ~ Avocados diced

1/8 cup of lime juice

¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons of sugar

zest of two limes

1/3 cup of cilantro chopped

1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Mix beans, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, and cilantro in bowl. In a separate bowl mix diced avocado and lime juice and set aside. Mix remaining ingredients…lime zest, sugar, cayenne pepper, EVOO, together and pour over bean mix, stir in avocado. Chill for one hour or overnight.

This was served on top of Plain Jane hamburger patties…no seasoning, salt, pepper or anything just plain burgers topped with this bean mixture. Actually, I put it on the side just in case since this was the first time I made it.

This is definitely a hubby pleasing dish and will be served often though out the summer months. A word of warning though, the cilantro can be a little over powering the next day so play with it. If you like it stronger add more cilantro if you like it mild use less cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment